We are proud to announce the availability of a 64-bit version of Frame Analysis. The new version of the program offers significant performance improvements over previous versions.
Advantages of the 64-bit version over the 32-bit version:
- Capacity: As a 64-bit application, Frame Analysis can access significantly more system memory. This makes it possible to work with models that are much larger than before.
- Speed: Previously, Frame Analysis could work around some of the 32-bit memory constraints by using disk buffers. While analysing relatively large models was possible, disk buffers would often slow down the analysis. Under 64-bit, more information can be stored in physical system memory (RAM) and analyses generally complete quicker.
The majority of new computers have multi-core 64-bit processors and run 64-bit versions of Windows. The new version of Frame Analysis unlocks the available processing power and memory storage, allowing you to do more and work faster.
A few items worth noting:
- The 64-bit version of Frame Analysis does away with the Taucs solver, which is based on a third-party library. We recommend using the MKL (Intel Math Kernel Library) solver instead; it is can address multiple processor cores and is capable of much faster analysis. The original solver, Colsol, remains available as well.
- At the time of writing, a few non-essential features in the new 64-bit were still under development and will be completed shortly. This included using underlay drawings in the Modeller and saving of pictures as Padds drawing files.
- Frame Analysis will automatically default to the 64-bit version on compatible systems. Should you wish to switch to the 32-bit version, you can do so at any time by clicking the "64-BIT MODE" button near the top right corner of the program.
- Sumo Structural Analysis has been available as a 64-bit application since its initial release. Sumo can be used alongside Frame Analysis; it has the ability to open and save Frame Analysis models.
Upgrading to the 64-bit version of Frame Analysis
Upgrading to the new version is easy:
- Use Live Update to download and install the new version. More information...
- Download and install the Service Pack. More information...
System Requirements for the 64-bit version of Frame Analysis
Minimum system requirements:
- 64-bit version of Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1.
- PC with multiple CPU cores.
- 4GB RAM, preferably 16 GB or more if working with very large models.
- Windows 8.1 64-bit.
If you have questions about the 64-bit version of Frame Analysis , do not hesitate to contact us.